Australia's population is ageing and, on average, we are living longer. The Australian Government's third Intergenerational Report 2010 projects that, over the next 40 years, the number of Australians aged 85 and over will more than quadruple - from around 400,000 in 2010 to 1.8 million by 2050.
In April 2008, the St Ives Group commissioned Verso Consulting to undertake a community needs study to present a demographic analysis which outlines the current and projected aged care needs; examine current residential aged care services and their distribution; and provide commentary on the types of aged care services which may best meet the identified needs. The findings are below:
- City of Stirling (26.1%) has a higher proportion of persons 55+ than Metropolitan North (22.8%).
- City of Stirling is home to 40.7% of persons 70+ in Metropolitan North.
- Persons 85+ to increase by 53.4% in Metropolitan North by 2021.
- 25% of 85+ have requirements for special needs care.
- In Carine, 9.8% (1,741 persons) of persons 65+ provide unpaid care to family members or others affected by disability, illness or old age.
- Future provision of residential aged care in Metropolitan North is not adequate to accommodate rapidly increasing aged population.
- There is growing need for community and home care programs linked to age-appropriate housing developments.
- The implications for an ageing population go beyond the delivery of retirement and aged care accommodation. Opportunities for additional services incorporating Community Care Programs, Primary Care Services, Allied Health Care Programs and Wellness Activities are all being considered for St Ives Carine.
Proposed St Ives Carine
The St Ives Group is proposing a comprehensive retirement estate similar in concept to the very popular apartment-styled St Ives Centro in Subiaco. The apartments are expected to set new standards of style and sophistication in retirement accommodation.
Designed for the security and comfort of residents, all apartments will feature 24-hour emergency call systems and secure basement parking with direct lift access to each floor. Residents will be able to take advantage of a wide range of services and facilities to be offered within the village including a comprehensive clubhouse.
For more information or to register your interest in retirement living at St Ives Carine - click here